Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Flea Repellent!

I was asked the other day by a dear friend and fellow pet owner, how to keep fleas off our furry friends naturally.
The post is a little over due but i'm sure the information will still be enjoyed.

Lavender, our herb of the month, is not only a good bug repellent on humans, but is a Flea repellent on animals too!



The Joys of Lavender also has an article on lavender flea repellent.
In the article they give a few facts about fleas and why they are harmful to your pets. They also give a recipe:
Basic flea control shampoo for pets with fleas.
12 ounces water
1 tablespoons of castile soap
2 drops of peppermint essential oil
2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
2 drops of lavender essential oil
2 drops of rosemary essential oil
Or whatever ones you have of these essential oils.combine ingredients in a jar. Shake well. Dampen your pet. add enough shampoo to make a lather and work. Rinse off well.

I have not tried any lavender flea repellent (or any flea repellent at all) on Halloween, my cat, yet but will let you know when I do and the results.

Let me know your repellent recipes, pet herbalism, etc!
Also, feel free to ask questions. I promise that if I don't know the answer, I will find one for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment