Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Raw Alaska

Curious, since Alaska is known for its cold climate and winter of darkness, is there anyone up there on a raw food diet?
I did some research and here was my findings.

Kristen Dixon wrote about experimenting with raw recipes on Alaskan Dispatch

Raw Celebrity, Phillip McClusky went to Alaska to speak at the Conscious Living Festival (which I researched and didn't find any information on it after 2009 so I'm not sure if its still going on) and was enraptured by the water in Alaska!

I also came across Raw Alaska, a website and project owned by Chef Jesse Nunley who "is dedicated to making sure that Fairbanks, as well as the rest of Alaska, takes a step in the right direction towards radiant living. With gentle nudges, a little bit of work and a lot of love..." I do think its cool that he offers food subscriptions (and am interested in seeing how much that would cost). I did see that his focus is moving towards having a base in L.A. as well as Fairbanks but I can't help but wonder if that will draw attention away from Alaska...I sent him an e-mail asking about his services, I'll let you know when I learn more about it.

Through Raw Alaska I found information on some locations in Fairbanks such as Julia's Solstice Cafe which is said to have vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and raw options on the menu (but doesn't have a website sadly, the link above is to a review of sorts).
I was also linked to the Fairbanks Co-op and was disappointed to find that Anchorage does not have one but it does have an organic wholesale price club.

Lamber Jules did a 90 Raw Food and Green Smoothie Challenge and discusses how to travel to Alaska on Raw Foods.

Raw Food Repair lists 2 restaurants with raw vegan options on the menu in Anchorage and both offer juices - Juice Kaboose on E. Huffman Road and Organic Oasis on Spenard Road.

So not a lot on here and I'm sure there is more - I didn't link to the vegetarian, vegan, organic or raw meet-ups that group all over Alaska so that right there is like a whole other blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment